How to get to Rome from FCO Rome Fiumicino airport click here. Cheapest way to get from the airport to Rome click here.
Tips on finding housing in Rome

Cheap housing does not exist in Rome if you want to live close to the city center. The average room costs from €400.00 - €550.00, that is in a shared apartment with others and without the private bathroom most of us hope for. Electricity is not included for a reason. Expats usually, and especially from North America do NOT realize how expensive it is to take a shower everyday, leave the A/C or heat on while not home. Electricity bill can make your wallet lighter in no time. If you are paying for your own electricity look at the meter and find out how to call it in before each billing cycle. That will help when you are moving out, so that you are not stuck paying more or someone else's bill. Even when you do try to save electricity by shutting things off while not home, the bill still can be pricey. Do you laundry on express cycle which is about 40 to 60 minute wash. Come on the washers as so small do you really think it takes 2 to 3 hours to wash them?Wash after 7pm and on Sunday all day, the rates are less. Why wouldn't that surprise us?Doorman?You might see advertising for Rooms close to FAO, well connected and only 2km away!!! Use google maps, search the persons email as well. There are many scams in Rome for rooms If you do find a Room negotiate the price. Most Italians think that Expats can afford to pay more. 

If you do want to find housing near FAO then you can try these locations that are relatively close. San Giovanni, Piazza Tuscolo, Re di Roma, Colosseo, Labicana, Trastevere, Testaccio, and Piramide. Remember Rome has many strikes. It would be a good idea to also check to see what the walking distance is in case you needed to walk to work. You can find some rooms here on our site that are easy to get to FAO.
If you are looking for cheap housing but not too far from the center try Pigneto which has become a trendy place to hang out. There is also San Lorenzo which is known more for university students and artists. Great district with easy to get to nightlife. 

Traveling by public transport in Rome?

One-Way bus/Metro ticket lasts 75 minutes and allows unlimited use of trams and buses (but only one metro journey) costs just a euro. Another great deal is the abbonamento (Pass) which allows for a month of unlimited travel on all Roman trams, buses and the metro, costs just €30 a month. Discounts for students. Either a one-way ticket or monthly pass covers you for all of Rome, and you can use it to go to the beach(Ostia)

The City Council and the Ministry for the Arts and Cultural activities, in collaboration with ATAC offer Tourist and locals to take advantage of various discounts and services that make it easier and cheaper. Some of those including: 

  • 2 free entries to either museum and/or archaeological sites of your choice. Which includes exhibition held in the museum.
  • Concessionary tickets to all other museum and/or archaeological sites.
  • Free use of the city's public transport network. 
  • Discount tickets to exhibitions, events and other collaborating businesses,
  • Reduced charges for the use of ON- call multi-lingual medical service for tourists(MET travel Health

Click here to read more what your new pass has to offer.

Cost of Food in Rome?
Regardless if you eat out or at home the cost of living has gone up in Rome in the last 2 years by a few euro. Having a pizza in the center not at a touristic venue of course will cost about €10-€16 including appetizer & wine. My favorites are listed below. in the last decade of living in Rome I have not yet found or heard of a good restaurant in Piazza Navona most restaurants there have pre heated food that is over priced. You can get frozen Italian food at home. There are also "Tavola calda" around that have good food either "nonna or mamma" has made you can find all over Italy. The price of groceries in Rome is still cheaper than most European countries, best to shop at discount markets you can save up to 30% if not more. Generally if you eat further from the center you pay less and eat best. The restaurants below are central but they have great prices, great food, and are not touristic places to eat.
Recommended place to eat well and not expensive
"IVO' Via di San Francesco a Ripa 158, (Trastevere)
"La Montecarlo"Vicolo Savelli, 13 (P.Navona)
"Insalata ricca" you can find one in every neighborhood.
"Il bosford Kebab 2" Via Ostiense 57 or VIa Dei Castani 140

Finding a job in Rome? 

Most jobs in Rome are usually filled while the person is actually living her but it doesn't hurt to send your CV/resume to different schools in Rome by simply searching them on line. We cannot help Expats get Work Visas to work or live in Rome. Best time to find a job in Rome is September and January. Especially those that are teaching English for work. I suggest sending your CV/ resume ever week even to the same place you have already applied at. Networking is important. I find more Expats have success with work networking each week with others at NOT just Expats living in Rome but other social networks. Don' t lose focus. Get out and get the information you need to be successful. Helpful sites to look for work  Jobs in Rome  or wanted in Rome. 
Health coverage in Italy?
All foreigners ( extracomunitari) planning to remain in Italy for longer than 90 days must apply for a ‘permit to stay’ ( permesso di soggiorno or carta di soggiorno) at the local police headquarters ( questura) within eight days of their arrival.
If you’re an EU-national or a permanent resident with a certificato di residenza you can work as self-employed ( lavora in proprio) or as a sole trader ( commerciante in proprio) in Italy. If you wish to work as self-employed in a profession or start a freelance business in Italy, you must meet certain legal requirements and register with the appropriate organisations, e.g. the local chamber of commerce ( camera di commercio).
Note that a standard permit to stay doesn’t automatically allow you to work as self-employed and needs to be changed to a permesso di soggiorno per lavoro autonomo, which depends on your nationality and status.
Under Italian law, a self-employed person must have an official status and it’s illegal to simply hang up a sign and start business. People setting up in a self-employed capacity must provide evidence of their status, such as membership of a professional or trade body, a VAT number, or registration on a trade register.
Members of some professions and trades must have certain qualifications and certificates recognised in Italy. You should never be tempted to start work before you’re registered as there are harsh penalties, which may include a large fine, confiscation of machinery or tools, deportation and a ban from entering Italy for a number of years.
EU nationals are entitled to work as a self-employed person (or an employee) without waiting for a residence permit to be issued. This document is merely a means of proof and not a condition of your entitlement to live in the country. If you’re an EU national and obtained a residence permit as an employee, this doesn’t prevent you from changing status during its period of validity and setting up in a self-employed capacity.
Non-EU nationals wishing to study in Italy must prove that they’re enrolled (or have been accepted) at an approved educational establishment for the principal purpose of following a course of education or vocational training. You must also prove that you’re covered by health insurance and provide a declaration in writing that you have sufficient resources to pay for your studies and for living expenses for yourself and any members of your family accompanying you.
Foreign students wishing to attend university in Italy should apply to the Italian consulate in their country of residence. They will send you a list of the documents required, which include an application form where you’re required to select four universities in order of preference and, for EU students, a form E111 (certificate of entitlement to health treatment).
Once they’ve received your completed application, the consulate sends EU citizens an identity card stamped with a consul’s visa, while non-EU students receive a student visa. You must present these documents to the police headquarters within eight days of arriving in Italy in order to obtain a student’s permit to stay ( permesso di soggiorno per studio) which is valid for a maximum of one year only.
Au pairs wishing to work in Italy are generally advised to obtain a study rather than a work visa if they’re planning to stay in the country for longer than 90 days. Because the ‘pocket money’ they receive isn’t considered a salary, the au pair agencies say that technically there’s no need for them to obtain a work visa.
Family Members
Family members of Italian citizens or EU nationals don’t require a visa to enter Italy if they’re also Italian citizens or EU nationals. If you’re an EU national, members of your family, whatever their nationality, may go with you and take advantage of their right to live in Italy. Your family is defined as your spouse, children under 21 (or dependent on you), as well as your parents and your spouse’s parents, if they’re also dependent on you.
If you’re a student, the right of residence is limited to your spouse and dependent children. If members of your family aren’t EU nationals, they may, however, require an entry visa, which should be granted free of charge and without undue formalities. There are two main types: the visto per coesione familiare and the visto per ricongiungimento familiare. The former is required when all family members are currently living outside Italy, while the latter is necessary when some family members are already living in the country. In the latter case, those living outside Italy must apply for a visa at an Italian consulate in their country of residence as usual, and their Italian relatives in Italy must also visit their local police headquarters to file an application for their relatives to join them.
For both visas, in addition to the usual documents you also need documents proving your family connections, e.g. a marriage licence ( dispensa matrimoniale). Non-EU family members don’t have the right to work in Italy unless they have their own work visa.
The right to travel enjoyed by non-EU members of your family under EU law isn’t an independent right, and it applies only when they’re accompanied by an Italian or EU national. Accordingly, they aren’t entitled to the visa facilities available under EU legislation when they’re travelling alone. On the other hand, non-EU members of your family don’t require an entry visa if they wish to travel to another country, provided they’re in possession of their identity document and residence permit.
Non-Employed Residents
Retired and non-active EU nationals don’t require a visa before moving to Italy, but an application for a permit to stay ( permesso di soggiorno per dimora) must be made within eight days of your arrival. Non-EU nationals require a residence visa to live in Italy for longer than 90 days. All non-employed residents must prove that they have an adequate income ( reddito) or financial resources to live in Italy without working.
You’re usually considered to have adequate resources if your income is at least equal to the basic Italian state pension of around €7,740 per year for each adult member of a family (although you’re unlikely to be able to live on it!). This can be a regular income such as a salary or pension, or funds held in a bank account.
All foreign residents (including EU residents) who don’t qualify for medical treatment under the Italian national health service ( servizio sanitario nazionale/SSN) must have private health insurance and be able to support themselves without resorting to state funds. EU nationals in receipt of a state pension are usually eligible for medical treatment under the SSN, but require form E-121 from their home country’s social security administration as evidence.
If you’re an EU national and have lived and worked in Italy for over three years, you’re entitled to remain there after you’ve reached retirement or re-retirement age, although if you retire before the official retirement age you won’t be entitled to a state pension.
Frontier Workers
Frontier workers are defined as people working in Italy but residing outside the country and returning there at least once a week. Frontier workers don’t require a permit to stay but must apply for a frontier worker’s card at the police headquarters nearest to their place of employment and produce evidence of their employment status and residence abroad.
EU rules on social security contain certain specific provisions for cross-border workers who are covered by EU social security legislation in the same way as all the other categories of people. You’re entitled to receive sickness benefits in kind in either your country of residence or your country of employment, but if you’re registered as unemployed you’re only entitled to claim unemployment benefit in your country of residence.
This article is an extract from Living and Working in Italy.  Click here to get a copy now.